Marriage License Application Process
You will need the following items before a marriage license can be issued to you:
- Marriage application.
You must apply for the marriage license only in the town where the ceremony takes place.
- There are two ways to apply for a marriage license in Bristol: a) You can complete an on-line worksheet which is transmitted directly to the Bristol Town Clerk's Office. Bring your confirmation number with you to the Office. b) You may also download an application which you can complete and bring with you.
- When you arrive at the Town Clerk's Office, you must also present the Office with a current photo identification - a driver's license, if you are a U.S. citizen and a passport or some other official government photo identification, if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Both the future bride and groom must appear in the Town Clerk's Office when applying for a marriage license, in order to take their oaths. It is not necessary for both parties to appear at the same time, if their schedules do not permit it.
- The fee for a marriage license is $30.00, payable at the time of application. We do not accept credit or debit cards or out-of-state checks as payment.
- The marriage license is only valid for 65 days, from the date of the application to the date of the marriage.
- You should provide the Town Clerk's Office with the name of the person performing the ceremony or the religious facility where it will be held.
- The original marriage certificate must be signed and returned to the Town Clerk's Office where the marriage ceremony occurred by the person performing the ceremony.
- Marriage restrictions.
- Beginning October 1, 2017 applicants must be over 16 years of age.
- If the applicants are over 16 years of age, but under 18 years of age, the Bristol Judge of Probate must award consent for marriages performed in Bristol.
For additional restrictions or information, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (860)584-6200 ext. 0. The office hours for marriage licenses is between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. There is limited staff from 12:00 until 2:00 p.m. so the process may take longer. Please plan your visit accordingly.