Residential Pay As You Throw Information
Residential TRANSFER STATION PERMITS
To use the Transfer Station, you must have a Transfer Station permit, and a valid license/I.D. or vehicle registration listing your Bristol address. Your permit must be active, and there must at least $25.00 on the account to gain access to the Transfer Station. You need to bring the permit and your license/I.D. when you visit the Transfer Station. Any Bristol resident can use the permit, and it can be used in any vehicle. If your license does not have your Bristol address, you will be required to update your license within 3 weeks of obtaining the permit. If you are unable to update your license within this timeframe, we can reclassify your permit as Commercial Tier II, reserved for non-residents. Once your license is updated with your Bristol address, we will reclassify you as Residential.
If you are not a Bristol resident, but own property in Bristol, you will need to obtain a Commercial Tier II Transfer Station permit.
Public Works is now using E-Bill Express for Transfer Station payments (adding funds, renewing your permit, checking your balance or expiration date). Click here to view online payment instructions.
Online payments made before 8:00 p.m. will be available the next business day. All online payments are subject to a convenience fee, typically 2.95% of the transaction fee. Proof of residency may be requested in order to renew your permit. Permit renewals are $40 for 5 years.
LOST PERMITS. Replacement permits requested online are mailed out as soon as they are processed. Replacement permits are $40.00 and expire 5 years from the date of purchase. Once you submit the application, you will be redirected to our payment site.
- Full loads of the following materials are no-charge (partial/mixed loads will be considered chargeable):
- Antifreeze (5 gal/day), leaves, oil (5 gal/day), fluorescent bulbs (10/day), electronics, paint (10 gal), tires (8/year), mattresses/box springs (5/year), acceptable single stream recyclable materials, and metal.
- You can mix any free materials together in the same load. If you mix free materials with chargeable materials (anything not listed above), the entire load is considered chargeable.
- The first 100 pounds of any chargeable load are free PER DAY, then $.60 every 10 pounds after.
- Rate/Price By Weight
All residential permits are five-year permits. Residential permits are for Bristol residents only. Business waste will not be accepted at the Transfer Station with a residential permit. Permits must be visible when entering the Transfer Station.
NEW TRANSFER STATION PERMITS:
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Please bring the following with you:
- Permit fee of $40.00 cash, check, credit/debit card (convenience fees apply for credit/debit card payments)
- Your current valid driver’s license (showing your Bristol address)
- Your vehicle registration (if your license doesn't have your Bristol address)
- A utility bill with your full name and address from the last 30 days may also be requested
- Minimum payment of $25.00 required to start the account.
new transfer station permits ONLINE/BY MAIL:
If you have never had a permit to the Transfer Station, you can request one via our digital application for NEW Transfer Station Permits. To be eligible, you must be a Bristol resident. You must fill out the online application, pay the $65 fee ($40 for the 5 year permit, and $25 in funds), and attach the required documents (a photo of your driver’s license, a utility bill from the last 30 days, and your vehicle registration if your license doesn't have your Bristol address - please note: you will be required to update your license within 3 weeks in order to keep Residential classification). Once you submit the form, you will be automatically directed to the payment center. Please select "Transfer Station," "New Transfer Station Account." If you are not a Bristol resident, but own property in Bristol, you qualify for a Commercial Tier II Transfer Station permit. You will need to prove Bristol homeownership. If the property is owned under an LLC, you will be asked to provide proof that you own the LLC.
If you would prefer to obtain a new transfer station permit by mail, please mail a check ($65 written to The City of Bristol, in the memo, please write "New Transfer Station Account"), include a note with your contact information (name, address, phone number, and email), and the required documents (see above), please mail to: Public Works 111 North Main Street Bristol, CT 06010.
If you apply online or by mail, we will mail the permit to you once we receive all required materials, your payment, and your digital application is fully processed. You may not use the Transfer Station until you receive the permit in the mail.
Permit Replacement (Lost/stolen)
If you no longer have your permit, you must purchase another permit at full cost. The replacement fee is $40.00 and the permit is valid for five years. You cannot visit the Transfer Station without the physical permit. You may come into the office to purchase a replacement permit. Replacement permits purchased in-office are available to use immediately. We may request proof of residency to obtain a replacement permit. Click here to request a replacement permit online. If you pay online, your permit will be mailed to you. You cannot use the Transfer Station until you receive the permit in the mail. Once you submit the online application, you will be redirected to our payment site (select Replacement Transfer Station permit).
If you sell your vehicle or get a new vehicle please remove your permit from the old vehicle and use it in your new vehicle.
Permits can be renewed for $40.00, either online or at the Public Works office. Click here to renew your permit online. Residential permits expire five years from the date of purchase. Please continue to use the same permit, as your expired permit will be reactivated once renewed. All account funds will carry over. If you no longer have the permit, you must request a replacement permit. Proof of residency is required to renew your permit.
- Transfer Station accounts need a minimum account balance of $25.00 to access the Transfer Station. Any cost for the load will be deducted from your account.
- Once the account balance is below $30.00* (or higher in some cases), residents will receive a reminder message (on the message boards at the Transfer Station) that funds need to be added to the account.
- Once funds fall below $25.00, access to the Transfer Station will be denied until funds are added to the account.*
- You can ask for a receipt upon exiting the Transfer Station.
- If a load brought in to the Transfer Station exceeds the amount on a resident's account, the account will be deactivated and no further access to the Transfer Station will be allowed until the balance is paid in full and additional funds of at least $25.00 (in most cases) is available on the account.
- Negative account balances must be paid within thirty days. If your account remains in the negative, your account thresholds will increase and you will be required to maintain a minimum account balance of $50.00 to access the Transfer Station. Your account will be referred to the Corporation Counsel's Office (the City's legal department) for collections.
Adding funds to your account
- ONLINE PAYMENTS MADE BEFORE 8:00 P.M. WILL BE AVAILABLE IN YOUR ACCOUNT THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY
- Residential Transfer Station customers must maintain a minimum account balance of $25.00 to access the Transfer Station
- The Transfer Station facility does not accept payments
- There is no longer a minimum amount required for payments
- To make an online payment, visit our payment center
- We are no longer accepting telephone payments
- Payments made in the office are available immediately (cash, check, credit/debit card). Debit/credit card payments are subject to a service fee, typically 2.95% of the transaction.
- Your customer ID is typically your drivers’ license number. Your customer ID will be required to make an online payment
Sign up to receive News and Information - select "Pay As You Throw News" to receive emails regarding important Transfer Station information.