We will not be accepting electronics in bulk pickups for the months of September and October due to the FREE Electronics Drop-Off events at the Farmer's Market, every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. beginning Saturday, September 3, 2021 through Saturday, October 30, 2021 Click here for more information.
Bulk Pickup for Residential Customers
Residents who qualify for curbside rubbish and recycle collection from the City of Bristol can request a bulk pickup for large items that do not fit in your rubbish barrel. The first pick up each calendar year per residential building is free. Additional collections can be scheduled for $25.00 each. Once you submit your payment, please call our office with the confirmation number to schedule your pick-up. If you are unsure if you need to pay, please give us a call.
Your bulk items can be a maximum of 5 cubic yards - a pile approximately 3-by-3-by-15-feet. Bulk collections are done between the hours of 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please have your items to the curb by 6 a.m. on your scheduled day. To cancel or reschedule your bulk pick-up, please call our office with one business day’s notice. In bad weather conditions we typically still collect bulk stops, but we will contact you if we need to reschedule. Be sure to clear off any snow that may have accumulated on your bulk items.
Only owners/landlords/property managers can schedule a bulk collection for a residential building. This is to ensure that the owner/ property manager is aware that the one allowable free collection is being used. Renters/tenants that wish to schedule a bulk pick-up (without going through the landlord or property manager) can do so by paying the $25 fee.
We do not pick up bulk from most condos, or buildings that have more than five-family residences. If we pick up your rubbish and recycling, you are eligible for a bulk pick-up. If you live in a building with six families or more, or a condo, you may be interested in purchasing a residential Transfer Station Permit.
Please call (860) 584-6125 to schedule a bulk pickup before you place items at the curb. Based on the volume of calls there may be a delay of a few weeks for your appointment. Please do not put material at curbside more than 24 hours before the scheduled pickup. This may be subject to a citation / fine per city ordinance.
The Public Works Department is striving to improve communications between our office and Bristol landlords. If you are the property owner of a multi-family building, please fill out our Landlord Contact Information Form with your contact and property information. If an issue with your property is reported to us, we will be able to notify you promptly, allowing for a speedy resolution beneficial to both parties.
- Items not eligible for bulk pickup include chemicals, auto parts, porcelain fixtures (toilets, sinks), construction or demolition debris such as sheet rock, shingles, ceramic tiles, yard debris, mirrors, or glass (such as sliding doors).
- For the safety of our children, please remove refrigerator doors before placing the appliance at the curb.
- Metal items must be placed separate from burnable items, since we use different trucks to take them away.
- Please do not place items in cardboard boxes (any small items that you would put in a cardboard box should be placed in your rubbish container). Cardboard must be placed in your recycle barrel.
- We can only take carpeting if it is cut in 4-foot strips, rolled, and tied.
- We will pick up appliances, furniture, wood (4 feet long and no nails, tied and bundled, non-pressure treated), metal cut and bundled in 4-foot lengths, up to two tires without rims, lawnmowers, and snow blowers (please drain gas and oil).
- Instructions if you have already scheduled a collection: (English) (Spanish)
If you have a lot of material or may need to dispose of large items a number of times a year, you may wish to get a residential Transfer Station permit. This will allow you to dispose of a variety of items throughout the year, at your own convenience.
If you have furniture or other items that are in good condition, we encourage you to you donate them to Goodwill, Savers, For Goodness Sake, or similar organizations.
Please use the Simple Recycling pink bags for clothing, toys and other textiles.