Registrars of Voters / Elections Administration
After consultation with local election officials, the leadership of your state associations and the bi-partisan legislative leadership of the General Assembly, Secretary Merrill and Governor Lamont have decided to postpone the April 28, 2020 Presidential Preference Primary to June 2, 2020.
The Registrar’s Office is taking the necessary precautions with regard to the Coronavirus pandemic by adhering to the protocol set by the Governor’s Office. We encourage voters to make any necessary changes to your current voter registration status ONLINE by using the link below.
The deadline for new voters, and for unaffiliated voters, to enroll in a party for voting in the Presidential Preference Primary is May 28th.
The functions of Registrars of Voters Office are governed by the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut. Responsibilities and duties are administered jointly by a Republican and Democratic Registrar. The Registrars of Voters are responsible for:
- Maintaining and updating voter registration information including changes of address, name or party affiliation, adding new voters and removing voters who are deceased or who no longer reside in town.
- Training election workers according to state statute. Each poll worker must be trained before every election or primary. Preparing worker informational notebooks and mandated returns and forms.
- Preparing election equipment and tabulators and order ballots for each election or primary.
- Conducting an annual canvass, January through May of voters who may have moved within town, out of town or out of state.
- Implementing new election laws as adopted by Connecticut State Legislature.
- Conducting High School voter registration sessions.
- Attending Registrars of Voters Association conferences and county meetings. Training is held by staff of the Secretary of the State, State Elections Enforcement as well as other state agencies and ROVAC committee members.
The mission of the Registrars of Voters Office is to ensure federal, state and local elections are conducted timely, responsibly, and with the highest level of professional Election standards. Intended to earn and maintain public confidence in the electoral process.