Residential Pay As You Throw Information
Residential Pay As You Throw
To use the Transfer Station, you must have a Transfer Station permit. Your permit must be active, and there must be money on the account to gain access to the Transfer Station. You need to bring the permit when you visit the Transfer Station.
Online payments made available in your account within 24 hours. All online payments are subject to a convenience fee, typically 2.95% of the transaction fee
WE HAVE RECENTLY CONVERTED TO INVOICE CLOUD FOR ONLINE PAYMENT PROCESSING
- Full loads of the following materials are no-charge (partial/mixed loads will be considered chargeable):
- Antifreeze, leaves, oil, fluorescent bulbs, electronics, acceptable single stream recyclable materials and metal.
- Mattress/Boxsprings - we will allow 2 pieces (either 2 mattresses, 2 boxsprings, or one of each) per day free for residential permit-holders only (per State statute) - no mattress toppers/pads/cribs. Find other mattress disposal options here.
- You can mix any free materials together in the same load. If you mix free materials with chargeable materials (anything not listed above), the entire load is considered chargeable.
- The first 100 pounds of any chargeable load are free PER DAY, then $.60 every 10 pounds after.
- Rate/Price By Weight
All residential permits are five-year permits. Residential permits are for Bristol residents and/or residential property-owners only. Business waste will not be accepted at the Transfer Station with a residential permit. Permits must be visible when entering the Transfer Station. You may use your permit in any vehicle.
NEW TRANSFER STATION PERMITS:
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Please bring the following with you:
- Permit fee of $40.00 cash, check, credit/debit card (convenience fees apply for credit/debit card payments)
- Your current driver’s license (showing your Bristol address)
- A utility bill with your full name and address if your driver's license does not have your Bristol address
- Minimum payment of $25.00 required to start the account.
new transfer station permits ONLINE/BY MAIL:
If you have never had a permit to the Transfer Station, you can request one via our digital application for NEW Transfer Station Permits. To be eligible, you must be either a Bristol resident or a residential property owner in Bristol. You must fill out the online application, pay the $65 fee ($40 for the 5 year permit, and $25 in funds), and attach the required documents (photos of the front and back of your driver’s license and a utility bill or other official piece of mail to prove Bristol residency/homeownership). Once you submit the form, you will be automatically directed to the payment center. Please select "Public Works Payments, "Transfer Station," "New Transfer Station Account." If you are unsure whether or not you've had a Transfer Station permit, please email PWSwitchboard@bristolct.gov or call 860-584-6125.
If you would prefer to obtain a new transfer station permit by mail, please mail a check ($65 written to The City of Bristol, in the memo, please write "New Transfer Station Account"), include a note with your contact information (name, address, phone number, and email), and the required documents (see above), please mail to: Public Works 111 North Main Street Bristol, CT 06010.
If you apply online or by mail, we will mail the permit to you once we receive all required materials, your payment, and your digital application is fully processed. You may not use the Transfer Station until you receive the plastic hang-tag permit.
Permit Replacement (Lost/stolen)
If you no longer have your permit, you must purchase another permit at full cost. The replacement fee is $40.00 and the permit is valid for five years. You cannot visit the Transfer Station without the physical permit. You may come into the office to purchase a replacement permit, or you can request one online and we will mail it. To request a replacement permit online, please pay here (select Public Works Payments, Transfer Station, then Replacement Transfer Station Permit).
If you sell your vehicle or get a new vehicle please remove your permit from the old vehicle. Your permit can be used in any vehicle.
- Transfer Station accounts need a minimum account balance of $25.00 to access the Transfer Station. Any cost for the load will be deducted from your account.
- Once the account balance is below $30.00* (or higher in some cases), residents will receive a reminder message (on the message boards at the Transfer Station) that funds need to be added to the account.
- Once funds fall below $25.00, access to the Transfer Station will be denied until funds are added to the account.*
- You can ask for a receipt upon exiting the Transfer Station.
- If a load brought in to the Transfer Station exceeds the amount on a resident's account, the account will be deactivated and no further access to the Transfer Station will be allowed until the balance is paid in full and additional funds of at least $25.00 (in most cases) is available on the account.
- Negative account balances must be paid within thirty days. If your account remains in the negative, your account thresholds will increase and you will be required to maintain a minimum account balance of $50.00 to access the Transfer Station. Your account will be referred to the Corporation Counsel's Office (the City's legal department) for collections.
Adding funds to your account
- ONLINE PAYMENTS MADE AVAILABLE TO YOUR ACCOUNT WITHIN 24 HOURS
- Residential Transfer Station customers must maintain a minimum account balance of $25.00 to access the Transfer Station
- The Transfer Station facility does not accept payments
- There is no longer a minimum amount required for payments
- Each payment is a one-time payment, we do not keep payment methods on file
- To make an online payment, visit our payment center
- We are no longer accepting telephone payments
- Payments made in the office are available immediately (cash, check, credit/debit card). Debit/credit card payments are subject to a service fee, typically 2.95% of the transaction.
- Your customer ID is typically your drivers’ license number. Your customer ID will be required to make an online payment
Sign up to receive News and Information - select "Pay As You Throw News" to receive emails regarding important Transfer Station information.