Residential Pay As You Throw Information
Residential Pay As You Throw
To use the Transfer Station, you must have a Transfer Station permit. To obtain a Transfer Station permit, you must come into our office, which is located on the ground floor of City Hall. Your permit must be active, and there must be money on the account to gain access to the Transfer Station. You need to bring the permit when you visit the Transfer Station.
Rates (effective 9/2/14)
- Full loads of the following materials are no-charge (partial/mixed loads will be considered chargeable):
- Antifreeze, leaves, oil, fluorescent bulbs, electronics, acceptable single stream recyclable materials and metal.
- Mattress/Box Springs - we will allow 2 pieces (either 2 mattresses or one of each or 2 boxsprings) per visit free at TS for Residential only (per State statute) - no mattress toppers/pads/cribs. Find other mattress disposal options here.
- These materials may be brought together in one load, but the addition of any chargeable material would make the entire load chargeable.
- The first 100 pounds of any chargeable load are free PER DAY, then $.60 every 10 pounds after.
- Rate/Price Chart
All residential permits are five-year permits. Residential permits are for Bristol residents and/or taxpayers only. Business waste will not be accepted at the Transfer Station with a residential permit.
Five-year residential permits are available for $50.00 for a rear view mirror hang tag. Permits can be purchased in the Public Works office located on the ground floor of City Hall. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please bring the following with you:
- Permit fee of $50.00 cash, check or credit/debit card.
- Your current driver's license (showing your Bristol address)
- You will also need to fund your Pay As You Throw account (see below) before entering the Transfer Station. Minimum balance of $25.00 required to start the account.
Permits must be visible when entering the Transfer Station.
If you lose your permit, you must purchase a new one at full cost. Replacement permits cannot be ordered online. You must come into the office to replace your permit.
Windshield stickers: If you sell your vehicle or have your windshield replaced your five-year permit can be attached to the new windshield/vehicle with painters/scotch tape. If you permanently attached the permit to your windshield, you will need a replacement permit.
Each Transfer Station user must have funds in a PAYT account. Once a resident visits the Transfer Station, any cost for the load will be deducted from their account. Each permit holder automatically has an account in the system.
- Transfer Station accounts need to be funded before you can enter the Transfer Station.
- Minimum funding to open your account is $25.00
- Once the account balance is below $30.00* (or higher in some cases), residents will receive a reminder message (on the message boards at the Transfer Station) that funds need to be added to the account.
- Once funds fall below $25.00, access to the Transfer Station will be denied until funds are added to the account.*
- If a load brought in to the Transfer Station exceeds the amount on a residents account, the account will be deactivated and no further access to the Transfer Station will be allowed until the balance is paid in full and additional funds of at least $25.00 (in most cases) is available on the account.*
- Negative account balances must be paid within thirty days. If your negative balance is not paid within sixty days, your account thresholds will increase and you will be required to maintain a minimum account balance of $50.00 to access the Transfer Station.
Payments/Adding funds to your account
- Residential Transfer Station customers must maintain a minimum account balance of $25.00 to access the Transfer Station.
- No Payments will be accepted at the Transfer Station.
- Credit/debit card or electronic check (using your checking account number and bank routing number) payments can be made online. There is no longer a minimum amount required for online payments, or in-office credit/debit card payments.
- To make a credit/debit card payment online, visit our payment center. If you need assistance making an online payment, please call 1-877-227-1157.
- We are no longer accepting telephone payments.
- Funds will be available in your account the next day after making an online payment.
- You may also come to City Hall (Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM at Public Works – Ground Floor) to pay with cash, check or credit/debit card. Payments made at City Hall will be available to use immediately.
- All PAYT debit/credit card and ACH (electronic check) payments will be subject to a service fee of 2.95% per transaction. This fee applies to online credit/debit card and ACH payments, and in-office debit/credit card payments.
- Your account ID is typically your drivers’ license number. Your account ID will be required to make an online payment.
- If you need to verify your Account ID, please call us at (860) 584-6125.
Permits can be renewed online for $40.00 or at the Public Works office for $50.00 for a five year renewal. You will continue to use the same permit. If you no longer have the permit, you must come into the office to purchase a replacement permit. You no longer need your vehicle registration to renew your permit. You will be notified via the electronic display screens at the Transfer Station when your permit is close to expiration. You can also use our payment center system to check your expiration date and account balance. To renew your residential permit online, visit the Payment Center and select Pay As You Throw Permit Renewal.
Sign up to receive News and Information - select "Pay As You Throw News" to receive emails regarding important Transfer Station information.