How can I change my name on my property deed or tax bill?
To change the owner’s name on a property, you should consult an attorney. Most likely, the attorney will prepare a certificate, deed or other legal document or the Probate Court will issue a document to distribute or transfer the property. The legal document prepared by the attorney or court will need to be recorded in the Town Clerk’s Office along with the appropriate recording fee. Once the document is recorded by the Town Clerk’s Office, the Assessor’s Office will update their records and reflect that change on future tax bills.

State law does not allow the office to provide legal advice or to assist in preparing documents concerning real estate or land records.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to obtain a copy of my birth certificate, a death certificate, or a marriage certificate?
2. How do I apply for a marriage license?
3. What is the conveyance tax rate and land recording fees in Bristol?
4. What do I need to open a business or file a trade name in Bristol?
5. Where can I get a document notarized?
6. How can I obtain an absentee ballot?
7. What do I need to apply for a dog license?
8. What do I need to sell food, goods, or merchandise in Bristol?
9. Where can I obtain information on an ordinance or local law?
10. How can I obtain a copy of my property deed or legal description?
11. How can I change my name on my property deed or tax bill?
12. How do I file a foreclosure registration?
13. When are the City Council meetings held?
14. How can I check for a lien on my property?
15. How can I change information on my Social Security card, obtain a copy of my divorce papers, or apply for a passport?